Pages

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Apple and Blackberry Crumble

I went blackberry picking on Sunday and collected way more blackberries that I knew what to do with!

First I thought I'd make an Apple blackberry crumble! This is such an easy dish to make on a Sunday afternoon, you don't need to be accurate at all with the fruit mixture just use whatever you've got, plus I've not yet come across anyone who doesn't eat crumble.

3 Large Cooking Apples, 150g Blackberries, 250g Caster Sugar, 200g Plain Flour, 150g Unsalted Butter

Pre-heat the Oven to 200°C.

To start I peeled my cooking apples and put them in a pan with 30mls water, 150g sugar (or to taste) and 50g of butter on a medium heat. With the lid on I let them stew slowly until they started to soften, I then added the 150g blackberries. I stirred slowly until all the fruit was soft then took it off the heat.

To make the Crumble all you need to measure is 1-1-2. One part sugar, one part Butter to two parts flour. I went with 100g Sugar, 100g Butter and 200g Plain Flour.

Measure out the flour and sugar first and stir well. then add the butter in small cubes. Now the fun part, get your hands in there and rub the butter into the flour until the mixture is as fine as bread crumbs. If you've never done this before you are literally rubbing the butter and flour mixture between your thumbs and finger tips to break up the butter and mix with the flour and sugar.

Once done put the fruit in the bottom of a dish and top with the crumble mixture. You can finish with a sprinkle of brown sugar if you have some then pop in the oven for 20 minutes or until browning on top.

If you really hate soggy crumble pour off some of the liquid from your fruit before adding the crumble. This liquid can also make a really nice sauce or sorbet!

No comments:

Post a Comment